Sunday, May 3, 2009

#15 Future Perspectives on Libraries

I read the IceBerg blog and agreed with the 3 topics that were discussed: Building the library collection, User Education, and Come to Us Services. Going through this program makes me anxious. I wonder how will I ever stay a step ahead of my patrons?...how will I ever learn everything that is out there?...how do I decide which is the best tools to share with my patrons? Rick Anderson discusses how we continue to build our library collection when actually, circulation statistics are down...shouldn't we be using our budget for more technology/Web services for our patrons? How much service are we expected to offer? I like Anderson's thoughts that the Web is also responsible for making new programs easier for patrons to use. And lastly, that we need to rethink how the library can reach our patrons, instead of expecting them to always come to us.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you r moving right along with the web 2.0 "23 things". I try to keep ahead by working closely with our technology coach and taking any classes that are offered through our school district. I recently took 2 online courses through Millersille University that were totally about technology. One class was called Web 2.0, the other one was The Dark Side of the Internet. Both courses were 3 credits and only took 2 weeks to complete. Grades were pass fail.

    ReplyDelete